Is your Frigidaire oven door not going back on? It can be frustrating when you remove the door for cleaning or maintenance and can’t seem to get it back on.
But don’t worry. We’ve got you covered with this step-by-step guide on how to put it back on.
Understanding the Frigidaire Oven Door
Before we get to the specifics, understanding how your oven door works can help you get your oven door back on in no time.
Frigidaire oven doors have two hinges that attach to the oven frame and two receivers that connect to the door.
The hinges have a locking mechanism that holds the door in place when it’s open, and they also help to keep the door closed when it’s shut.
A common problem is misaligned hinges. This not only stops the door from fitting right but can also mess with the oven door’s lock mechanism.
Another common issue is that the hinges may be worn out or damaged. Over time, the hinges can become loose or bent, making it difficult or impossible to reattach the door.
We've discussed these issues more comprehensively in the following section.
Why Won’t My Frigidaire Oven Go Back On?
There are several reasons why your oven door may not go back on, and we’ve discussed a few below.
Misaligned or Damaged Hinges
The hinges might not be at the correct angle, which is crucial for the proper attachment and operation of the oven door.
Check the hinges on the door and ensure they are properly positioned. Your hinges should be pointing at a 45-degree angle.
If the hinges are bent or damaged, replacement might be necessary.
Worn Out Door Springs
The springs in the door mechanism help keep the door open or closed. If they wear out, the door may not work as it should.
Over time, these springs can wear out, making it challenging to get the door back on.
Since the springs are integrated with the hinges, we recommend replacing the entire hinge assembly if you face issues with worn-out springs.
Warped Oven Door or Frame
Heat or other factors can cause the oven door or frame to warp. When this happens, the door won’t align correctly with the hinges.
In such cases, it’s advisable to replace the warped parts. It’s a good idea to get a professional technician to check the extent of warping and do the necessary replacements.
How to Fix a Frigidaire Oven that Won’t Go Back On
Fixing a Frigidaire oven door that won’t go back on could be a matter of adjusting the hinges. Here’s a simplified step-by-step guide to help you through the process:
- First, ensure that the oven is turned off, unplugged, and completely cooled down to avoid any injuries.
- Check the current angle of the hinges. They should be at a 45-degree angle to fit the door properly.
- With an adjustable wrench, gently grip one of the hinges. Carefully bend the hinge down towards the correct angle.
- Once both hinges are at the correct angle, push the hinge lock forward towards the door frame, making sure the lock doesn’t interfere with the reattachment.
- Put the oven door back by inserting the door hinges into the hinge slots at a 45-degree angle.
- Lower the door to its fully open position. Then, rotate the hinge locks back to secure the door.
- After reattaching, open and close the oven door a few times to ensure it operates smoothly.
How to Replace Frigidaire Oven Hinges
If you’ve got a damaged hinge or a worn-out spring on your Frigidaire oven, replacing the hinges is a straightforward task that can restore the proper function of your oven door.
Follow these steps.
- Using a Phillips head screwdriver, loosen and remove the two screws holding the door handle. Place the handle aside.
- Remove the four bottom screws to separate the inner panel from the outer panel and access the hinges.
- Now unscrew the upper screws securing the door hinge you’re replacing, followed by the two lower screws securing the hinge.
- Remove the old hinge from the assembly.
- Align the new oven door hinge on the inner panel, securing it with the two lower screws and the upper screw.
- Align the inner door assembly with the outer door panel, and fasten the four screws at the bottom.
- Ensure the top of the assembly is accessible, insert the door handle screws, align the handle, and tighten the screws.
- Reinstall the oven door by inserting the door hinges into the hinge openings at a 45-degree angle.
- Lower the door to its fully opened position, then swing the hinge locks back into their slots.
- Open and close the door a few times to ensure it operates smoothly with the new hinges.
Watch this video and skip to the 1:00-minute mark for a walkthrough on replacing the hinges.
For the replacement hinges, this Frigidaire hinge replacement on Amazon is a good option.
However, it’s important to ensure that the replacement hinge is compatible with your specific oven model.
Check the model number of your oven and compare it with the product description to ensure it’s the right fit before making a purchase.
Ending Notes on Frigidaire Oven Door Fixes
Now that you’ve learned how to put your Frigidaire oven door back on, you’ll be able to get back to baking your favorite meals in no time!
Remember to follow the steps carefully to ensure the door is properly aligned and secured.
If you’re still experiencing issues with your oven door, there may be other underlying problems that require professional attention.
It’s always a good idea to consult with a certified technician to diagnose and fix any issues with your oven.