The intricate designs gracing a perfectly browned and fragrant bundt cake an eye-catching thing of beauty as well as a delicious dessert. But seasoned bundt bakers know the dark side to baking this type of cake is the clean-up. Even when the cake gently slips out of the pan wholly intact, it inevitably leaves stubborn bits stuck in the difficult-to-clean cracks and crevices of the pan. The dishwasher might seem like a great solution to the icky pan problem, but are bundt pans dishwasher safe? We've researched this question for you to find the best answer the internet has to offer.
Both the brand of the bundt cake pan and its material will impact its ability to be safely cleaned in a dishwasher. Bundt pans made of silicone, glass, some types of stoneware, and Wilton brand nonstick fluted tube pans are dishwasher safe. Most nonstick bundt pans, including those made by Nordic Ware and CasaWare, and cast iron bundt pans are not dishwasher safe. For best results, check the manufacturer's recommendations. If you are unsure what type of pan you have or want to play it safe, you can't go wrong by handwashing a bundt pan in warm soapy water with a soft sponge or cloth.
Many types of bundt cake pans are dishwasher-safe, while others are not. Keep reading as we take a closer look at the particulars of which bundt pans are dishwasher safe and offer some additional cleaning tips.
Dishwasher Safe Bundt Pans
Fortunately, there are many bundt pans available today that are safe to wash in the dishwasher. Often what a pan is made of is telling as to whether it can withstand regular cleanings by dishwasher.
Check out this list of dishwasher-friendly types of bundt pans:
- Silicone bundt pans have risen in popularity as they are dishwasher-safe, flexible, easy to store, unbreakable, and come in a variety of fun colors.
- Another dishwasher-safe type is the glass bundt pan. Simply wait until the glass pan is completely cool before loading it into the dishwasher.
- If you have a stoneware bundt pan, it may be dishwasher-friendly. Later in this post, we will take a look at the specific cleaning recommendations for Pampered Chef bundt pans. Spoiler alert: some of them are dishwasher-safe!
- While most pans with a nonstick finish are not recommended for the dishwasher, the Wilton brand stands out as one that is. According to the manufacturer, Wilton's nonstick fluted tube pan, a fancy way of saying bundt pan, is fully dishwasher safe.
- Calphalon is another brand that makes dishwasher-safe nonstick bundt pans.
Click here to see Wilton brand on Amazon.
Click here to see Calphalon brand on Amazon.
Bundt Pans that are Not Dishwasher Safe
No one wants to inadvertently ruin a perfectly good pan in the dishwasher. That's why it is important to know if your bundt pan is able to go into the dishwasher. Many brands recommend handwashing only for their products. Here are a few notable ones:
- Nordic Ware is a popular brand of bakeware and tops the charts as a leading manufacturer of nonstick bundt pans, all of which are labeled as handwash only. We will discuss Nordic Ware bundt pans in more detail below, so keep reading!
- CasaWare makes beautiful colorful ceramic-coated bundt pans. The company recommends handwashing only with nonabrasive cleaners and soaps to protect the pan's nonstick ceramic coating.
- Cast iron bundt pans are another type of pan that should never go in the dishwasher.
Best Practices for Washing Bundt Pans
Even if your bundt pan is dishwasher-safe, exclusively handwashing will often extend the life of your pans by protecting them from the harshness of the dishwasher. Here are some tips for getting those troublesome nooks and crannies clean without a struggle.
- Experts recommend that you don't wait to wash a freshly-emptied bundt pan. Wash it as soon as it is cool enough to prevent the residue from getting more firmly stuck in place.
- After brushing out as many crumbs as possible, submerge the bundt pan in hot water with gentle dish soap. At this point, you can let it soak for up to a half-hour to loosen the remaining bits. Before you soak, check your manufacturer's recommendations as some recommend less time or not soaking at all.
- After soaking, wipe the surface clean with a soft sponge or cloth. A toothbrush or other soft cleaning brush might be necessary to gently scrape the cracks and crevices of your bundt pan. Be sure to take extra care with nonstick pans to avoid damaging the finish.
- Rinse thoroughly and dry your pan with a clean towel.
Are Nordic Ware Bundt Pans Dishwasher Safe?
Nordic Ware is a prolific producer of bundt pans of all shapes and sizes. While there are a plethora of Nordic Ware options, one thing holds constant across them all: they are not dishwasher safe. Due to their nonstick coating, the manufacturer recommends handwashing only. Because all those nooks and crannies can be such a pain to clean, consider soaking in hot soapy water for up to 15 minutes to help loosen the stubborn bits then scrubbing gently by hand. Click here to see a classic Nordic Ware Bundt Pan on Amazon.
Are Pampered Chef Bundt Pans Dishwasher Safe?
Pampered Chef produces a couple of different bundt pans, so it is important to check which type you have. Pampered Chef is known for its stoneware baking products and does sell Stoneware Fluted Baking Pans. Click here to see a Pampered Chef Stoneware Fluted Pan on Amazon.
There is much debate online about how to clean these pans. While some users maintain that they are dishwasher safe with no negative impacts, others are adamant believers in soap-free handwashing using a scraping tool or nylon brush. According to the manufacturer, baking stones produced prior to September 1, 2020, should be hand-washed in warm water. Baking stones produced after that date are indeed dishwasher-safe!
Pampered Chef also produces Fluted Cake Pans made of carbon steel with a nonstick interior. This type of pan should not be cleaned in the dishwasher. On its website, the manufacturer recommends handwashing only. In fact, soaking this type of pan is also discouraged. For best results, gently clean it soon after use with a soft sponge, cloth, or brush. Click here to see the mini version of a nonstick Pampered Chef Fluted Pan on Amazon.
How Do You Clean A Silicone Bundt Pan?
Silicone is a flexible, versatile, man-made material that is used to make bakeware. It is useful as a bundt pan because its flexibility makes it easy to wiggle the cake out without breakage. However, like any other type of bundt pan, the cake leaves behind a pesky residue on the silicone.
Another advantage of a silicone bundt pan is that it can be thrown into the dishwasher for quick clean-up. Because it releases residue easily and is flexible, handwashing is also quite fast and easy. After a quick soak in warm soapy water, washing with a cloth or brush should remove any remaining food particles without fear of scratching the surface.
How Do You Clean an Old Bundt Pan?
If you've inherited an old bundt pan from your grandma or rescued one from a thrift store, chances are it is made of aluminum and might have discoloration or crusty burnt bits stuck in its many crevices. Don't worry! Your bundt pan can make a recovery from its less-than-stellar past cleanings. This method works even with nonstick pans.
The first place to start is with a good old-fashioned soak to get rid of any burnt food residue. Soak the bundt pan in hot water with a few squirts of high-quality dish soap for a half hour or more.
Next, apply some elbow grease. If your old pan is non-stick, be sure to use a soft sponge or cloth to scrub away the residue. Toothbrushes are fantastic tools to use to reach deep into the crevices of a bundt pan. Rinse well.
If you still have some discoloration, add a couple of tablespoons of baking soda and a cup of vinegar to the pan, spreading it all around to coat the entire pan. Let sit for half an hour. Rinse and wash again in warm soapy water.
Dry your clean pan thoroughly and enjoy its new shine!
Whether a bundt pan is dishwasher safe depends on its manufacturer and the material it is made of. Whether it is recommended or not, handwashing a bundt pan is always a good route to take to protect your pan and prolong its life. A good soak and a little gentle elbow grease make it a relatively easy clean-up, an effort well worth it to produce a head-turning bundt cake.
Before you go, here are a couple of posts that you might find helpful:
25 Types of Baking Dishes You Need In Your Kitchen