If you have a new LG fridge and are wondering what temperature you should set the freezer to, or if you think you might have concerns with it in the future, you came to the right post. We have researched this topic, and we can help you. Learning how to properly set the temperature is essential in keeping your food fresh.
A newly purchased LG fridge is set to 37 degrees Fahrenheit as default, and the freezer is set to zero degrees Fahrenheit. You can change the settings later to your desired temperature after stabilizing the compressor that pumps the refrigerant through the refrigeration system.
Setting the freezer up seems simple, but there are probably other things that you want to learn about the LG freezer. We provide you with more details below and answers to frequently asked questions regarding the LG freezer .
What Is The Best Temperature Setting for LG Freezer
As we mentioned earlier, most LG fridges are set at the default of 37 degrees Fahrenheit and zero degrees Fahrenheit for the freezer. Upon turning the refrigerator on for the first time, leave it for 24 hours at the default setting to maintain the temperature.
Once you are satisfied with the fridge's performance, you can set the temperature of the LG fridge from 35 to 38 degrees Fahrenheit, and the lowest recommended temperature for a freezer is -4 degrees Fahrenheit for ice production.
How To Adjust Temperature On LG Bottom Freezer Refrigerator
The temperature settings are located on the fridge's display panel, and the settings range from 36-46 degrees Fahrenheit. The freezer's temperature settings range from 6-8 degrees Fahrenheit.
- To reset the fridge compartment, continue pressing the fridge button until you reach the desired temperature.
- To reset the freezer, press the freezer button continuously until you reach the desired temperature.
Check out this video for more information.
Why Your LG Bottom Freezer Has A Leak
There are several reasons why an LG bottom freezer might leak. It could be an ice bin issue, an overfilled tray or container, a water filter issue, or problems with water pressure or the defrosting drain.
Ice Bin Position
Sometimes the ice bin is not in its proper place, and a splash of water from the inlet overshoots the ice tray and leaks to the bottom of the freezer. You just need to properly position the ice bin to avoid splashing water leaks.
Open Liquid Tray or Containers
An open container or ice cube tray filled with water sometimes spills before it gets frozen, and the water can flow down to the bottom of the freezer. This problem is simple to solve. Ensure that the tray or container has a cover or isn't full enough to spill.
Water Filter Problem
A cracked filter head or housing can leak water out onto the floor. You may also check if the water filter is cracked, torn, or missing.
If one of these parts has damage, it needs a replacement to solve the leak problem. You may need to call a technician to replace it for you.
There could be high water pressure from the inlet that feeds the ice maker.i If the water pressure is too high, it can cause the ice cube tray to overfill. Check the water inlet valve to see if there is a crack or it is loose-fitting, because it can cause a water leak around the valve.
Defrost Drain Problem
A clogged defrost drain or cracked drain pan are common reasons for water leaks. You can clear the clogged drain with hot water to unclog it and fix the problem. If the defrost drain pan is cracked, you may need to replace it.
How To Unclog An LG Freezer Drain
The building up of ice inside the freezer drain is a cause of the clog. The clogged drain causes water leaks onto the floor. Here are the things you can do to unclog the freezer drain. This could help you in basic troubleshooting:
- Unplug the freezer or the fridge unit from the power source.
- Remove anything from the freezer that prevents you from accessing the drain hole. If you can not find the drain hole, check the user's manual for instructions or consult an expert if you are unsure.
- Once you reach the drain hole, remove the ice from the drain hole using a piece of stiff wire or a screwdriver.
- Get a basting syringe and fill it with warm water. Put the syringe's tip into the drain hole, then squeeze the syringe's bulb to push the warm water into the hole. This step will melt and remove the ice from the drain.
- Put everything back into your freezer and plug it into the power source. Check if it fixed the leakage problem. Check the drainage line semi-annually and unclog it if needed.
Why Your LG Freezer Is Not Working
Knowing the possible causes why your freezer is not working can help if you encounter these problems in the future:
Controller or Start Relay
If your LG Freezer won't start, one common reason is the start delay of the compressor, also known as the controller. This device energizes the start windings until the fridge is running.
Check if the controller is overheating, and replace it if needed with the manufacturer's original part.
Electronic Board Control
If the electronic display model freezer does not start, the possible cause of the problem is the control board. There could be corrosion or signs of arcing, and replacement if needed. If this is the issue, you need further testing, and a technician needs to fix this.
Another possible issue with why the freezer won't start is a problem with the thermostat.
If there are issues with the sensor bulb, or the switch contacts are corroded, the compressor won't start, and you need to replace the control. Call a technician if you are unsure of fixing this issue.
Another possible cause why your LG freezer won't start is a defrost timer issue. This part has internal contacts that supply the power alternately to the compressor circuit and defrost heater circuit.
The defrost timer needs to be tested by a trained technician or anyone knowledgeable in working with electrical circuits.
Look for any signs of arcing or overheating on the capacitor. If this is the reason why your freezer won't start, you will need a trained technician to test and fix the issue. Replace the damaged part with the manufacturer's original parts.
Why Your LG Freezer Has No Ice
A newly installed refrigerator needs to rest before it produces ice. The freezer needs to maintain a temperature below 19 degrees Fahrenheit. Complete the items on this checklist for troubleshooting:
- Wait and let the freezer rest for 24 hours.
- Set the freezer to -4 degrees Fahrenheit, the recommended minimum temperature for ice production.
- Inspect the water supply. Make sure that the water line is attached. There are times that the water line gets disconnected when the fridge is moved or installed recently.
- Turn on the ice maker. If the unit does not produce ice, reset the ice maker.
- Ensure that you checked the water supply and reset the ice maker sections before proceeding to the Request a Repair page of the manufacturer.
Why Your LG Freezer Is Not Freezing After Power Outage
Here are the basic troubleshooting steps that you can do if the unit is not freezing after a power outage.
- Check the power cord of the fridge or the freezer and see if it is attached to the refrigerator. The power cord can get burned during a power outage.
- If the cord is plugged in and not burned out, unplug it or shut off the breaker. Let the fridge rest for 30 seconds before you plug it back or turn on the circuit breaker.
- Give the unit some time to stabilize the compressor and start cooling again for 24 to 48 hours. If the freezer doesn't start after the given time, you will need to call a professional technician for repair.
We have discussed the recommended temperature of the LG freezer. Changing the setting is easy and quick, but taking care of the unit could be a lot of work.
Knowing the basics and learning simple troubleshooting tips can save you time, which is why we have added additional information for future references.
To learn more about fridges and freezers, you may read these posts: