A Frigidaire dishwasher might encounter some problems throughout its serviceable life. Resetting this appliance might help restore its optimal functionality. But how can you reset a Frigidaire dishwasher? We researched the steps for you, and here’s what we found.
Most Frigidaire dishwashers typically share the same or highly similar resetting instructions. Here are the steps:
- Press and hold the "Cancel" button for at least 3 seconds, which should shut off the dishwasher.
- Wait at least 5 minutes.
- Press the "Start" button for 1 to 2 seconds.
Take note that the steps above only show a potential solution to the problems that a Frigidaire dishwasher may encounter. Continue reading as we talk about other possible fixes to specific issues with this Frigidaire appliance. We’ll also tackle other relevant yet important topics such as the possible reasons why a Frigidaire dishwasher fails to start. Without further ado, let's get into it.
Resetting A Frigidaire Dishwasher
Resetting a Frigidaire dishwasher is generally a DIY-friendly job. So those without specialized expertise in electronics may follow these steps before calling for professional help:
- Find the "Cancel" or "Cancel Drain" button on the unit.
- Press and hold that button for at least 3 seconds or until the light changes or disappears on the unit. The dishwasher should turn off afterward.
- Wait for at least 5 minutes before turning on the appliance again.
- Press the "Start" or "Start/Resume" button for about 1 to 2 seconds.
- If the dishwasher still fails to function properly at this point, turn off the circuit breaker connected to the appliance for at least 5 minutes.
- Restore power to the dishwasher after that period and check if the issue persists.
If the methods above didn’t work, it might be time to contact the manufacturer’s customer service department or a specialized technician. Keep in mind that you may need to pay for the expert’s aid, particularly if the appliance is no longer covered by the manufacturer's warranty.
Why Is My Frigidaire Dishwasher Blinking ER?
A Frigidaire dishwasher’s built-in display might show the letters "ER" which stands for error. Those letters also have a code next to them, indicating the nature of the malfunction.
Some of the Frigidaire dishwasher error codes and their possible solutions are:
- HO: The dishwasher has low water temperature and doesn’t need human intervention. Users must only wait for the appliance to generate the ideal temperature level.
- LO: It means low rinse aid, and users need to refill the rinse aid reservoir.
- PF: Stands for power failure, which can mean anything from a power outage to a fault from the circuit breaker. Resetting the appliance or replacing the circuit may solve this problem.
- I20: It means a restricted drain line, and can also show I40 or IFo. Cleaning the filter can help reduce the frequency of this error code appearing.
- I30: This error means that the bottom pan is leaking. Check this component and repair or replace it if necessary.
Frigidaire dishwasher owners should keep their owner’s manuals nearby in case these error codes appear. The manufacturer often lists these malfunctions in the appliance’s guide to help users fix 25 relatively common issues that may arise.
You might also be curious if your dishwasher breaks if you don’t use it. Find out the answer by reading our post: Do Dishwashers Break If Not Used?
Why Is My Frigidaire Dishwasher Not Starting?
The issue of a Frigidaire dishwasher failing to start can originate from different sources. Some potential causes may include (but aren’t limited to) the following:
Remember that a typical dishwasher connects to the property’s drain and water supply systems. The appliance may not start if it immediately detects an issue with the home’s plumbing lines.
For instance, the main water supply valve might be in the off position. Another potential issue is that the water inlet hoses might be damaged or kinked.
The latches that should secure the dishwasher’s door when closed might be damaged. If so, the appliance will detect that the door isn’t secure, leading to the error. Replacing the latches should fix this problem.
Check out this replacement dishwasher door latch on Amazon.
Trouble With the Power Supply
A thunderstorm or power outage may cause electrical issues to the household, leading to the Frigidaire dishwasher's startup protocol failing. Make sure that you unplug the appliance before proceeding with checking the unit for problems with its electronics.
With the dishwasher unplugged, check the circuit breaker connected to the appliance if it tripped. If so, return it to the on position.
If that didn’t solve the issue, check the dishwasher’s power outlet to see if it has burn marks. Scorched outlets can be indicators of short circuits or power surges. These issues can also make the dishwasher irreparable. So the only solution is to replace the broken appliance with a new model.
Check out this Frigidaire dishwasher on Amazon.
Why Is My Frigidaire Dishwasher Not Completing Its Cycle?
Most dishwashers run for about 2 hours before completing their wash and dry cycles. But if a dishwasher, which can include one that comes from Frigidaire, runs for only about a minute before shutting off, it might be a problem with:
- A loose door latch
- Short-circuited thermal fuse
- Internal control board malfunctions or breakdowns
Perhaps the bare minimum dishwasher owners can do is to ensure that the appliance’s latch closes the door securely. Otherwise, replacing a thermal fuse or the control board may require expert assistance.
Learn more about a dishwasher’s run cycle by reading our post on that topic: How Long Does A Dishwasher Run?
How Do You Run A Diagnostic Test On A Frigidaire Dishwasher?
Some Frigidaire dishwashers have a diagnostic test mode that allows users to check if these units have issues. Activate this mode by doing the following steps:
- Press and hold the "Start/Cancel" button and the heating button at the same time for at least 3 seconds. Doing so should turn on the appliance’s water test mode.
- Confirm the command by pressing the "Start/Cancel" button again.
If the dishwasher detects a fault or malfunction, it should display the error code on its built-in screen. However, the Frigidaire appliance may not detect any error and will complete the diagnostic test without any problem.
You can also watch the video below to learn more about this mode:
How Long Is The Warranty On A Frigidaire Dishwasher?
Frigidaire has a 1-year warranty for parts on their different appliances, which can include the brand’s dishwasher. Keep in mind that customers may only get coverage if the unit has issues not caused by neglect or mishandling.
In detail, the warranty can become void if the unit receives:
- Faults from alterations or cosmetics
- Improper installation
- Corrosion and rust
- Malfunctions brought by the installation of third-party parts
- Breakdowns caused by everyday use, along with wear and tear
The company also provides an option for its customers to extend their appliances’ warranties. Frigidaire generally offers three options for the extension of this coverage. Consumers may choose to extend their warranties by one, two, or three years.
How Much Does It Cost To Repair A Frigidaire Dishwasher?
Professional labor costs to repair Frigidaire appliances, which may include the brand's dishwasher, are between $100 and $300 on average.
Owners may choose to do the repairs themselves to save money. Another option is to purchase and install replacement parts. But take note that doing either DIY option may void the appliance’s warranty.
Plus, some parts are generally quite expensive to purchase if you don’t know where to buy them. For example, the typical dishwasher motor usually costs around $400 to $600.
Credible repair technicians usually have a network of part suppliers. So these experts can reduce the total overhead of your dishwasher’s repair expenses.
Check out this replacement dishwasher motor on Amazon.
How Do You Start A Dishwasher Without The Start Button?
Certain dishwasher models may automatically start, eliminating the need for start buttons. However, these models may encounter issues where they won't start by design. Here's what you can do if these problems occur:
- Ensure that the latches on the dishwasher secure its door properly.
- Press and hold the unit’s heating mode for about 3 seconds.
- Check the fuse box, particularly the switch connected to the dishwasher, for damage.
- Make sure that the water supply line connected to the appliance is in the on position.
Resetting a Frigidaire dishwasher often requires users to press specific buttons in the correct order. If successful, the unit should restore to its factory default settings and remove potential issues.
But if some problems persist after this procedure, it might be time to consult the help of certified technicians for repairs and replacements.