With the top rack installed on a KitchenAid dishwasher, more oversized items can't fit. But how can you remove the top rack of your dishwasher to free up space? We did our research, and here's what we discovered.
There are two ways to remove the top rack of a KitchenAid dishwasher:
For SatinGlide Max rails:
- Pull The Upper Rack
- Press The Tab
- Repeat Step two
- Pull The Back End Out
For SatinGlide rails:
- Pull The Upper Rack
- Flip The Track Stop
Continue reading to learn more and help you answer questions related to your KitchenAid dishwasher.
Top Rack Removal Methods
You can remove the upper rack of most dishwashers. It is useful when washing tall items such as vases, platters, or large soup pots. If you want to remove the upper rack, follow these steps.
SatinGlide Max Rails
- Pull the upper rack slightly forward and out of the tub to access the track's removable tabs.
- Press the tab on the rails. Then, slightly pull the front part of the rack out of one rail.
- Then repeat step two for the other side to remove the front end of the rack altogether.
- Lastly, remove the back end of the rack. Pull the rear end out slightly forward and in an upward motion.
- Start pulling the upper rack halfway out of the tub to access the track stops.
- Flip the track stop to open the exterior part of the tub. After opening, pull the upper rack off the rails.
Benefits Of A KitchenAid Dishwasher
When you purchase a KitchenAid dishwasher, you get the following benefits:
- It cleans dishes for up to 14 spots in a single cycle.
- It has an advanced filtration system that removes and cleans up small food debris.
- It gauges and uses soil level to choose the better wash cycle in each load.
- It uses a recessed heating option to remove moisture in the plastic dishes; as a result, it dries up faster and has better sanitation afterward.
- It has specialty rails that can be used quickly and smoothly and unload dishware faster.
- It gives off a quiet noise when in use. It's as low as 39 decibels.
- It offers different design options you can choose from.
- It has a third-level rack.
- It offers cheap to expensive dishwashers based on your budget and preferences.
Different Types Of Dishwashers
KitchenAid dishwashers come in various sizes and have distinctive feature sets and designs.
Front Control Dishwashers
These dishwashers have a control console on the front panel instead of the top part. They offer:
- Cycles and options that are easily accessible.
- There's no need to open inside to know the time left in the cycle.
- Most of them include an incorporated pocket handle that is hidden from view.
Built-In And Panel-Ready Dishwashers
Dishwashers that you cannot move are considered built-in. They are almost level with the cupboards and give a clear line to the kitchen.
A panel-ready dishwasher is a type of built-in dishwasher. It enables you to attach a cabinet front to the appliance, giving it a fully integrated appearance that can complement the design of your kitchen.
Third Rack Dishwashers
A third rack sits above some versions of the dishwasher. Racks are usually flat and suitable for small objects such as cutlery. However, some models can accommodate cups and bowls.
Portable dishwashers can be moved out of the way and used when needed. You can use the pipe to attach to your faucet and drain it into your sink. Some are comparable to a regular built-in dishwasher, while others are small enough to fit on your countertop. The advantages are:
- The size is ideal for limited spaces, such as apartments with insufficient space for a dishwasher.
- You can take a portable dishwasher with you if you travel.
Top Control Dishwashers
Top control dishwashers conceal the top door controls to produce a clean front panel. The console is smooth and requires only a single touch to choose an option. The pluses are:
- A sleek door panel gives the dishwasher a clean and modern look.
- Simple and easy-to-clean controls.
- Lower chances that you may unintentionally press buttons when choosing options.
- It offers a handle to hang the towels.
Standard Dishwasher Sizes
Each model comes in different sizes. A standard model can take between 10 and 12 place settings. These are the typical sizes available:
Width Length Thickness
Compact: 18 inches 34 to 35 inches 24 inches
Standard: 24 inches 34 to 36 inches 24 inches
Oversize: 30 to 42 inches 34 to 36 inches 24 inches
Important Dishwasher Features
Dishwashers have several features that can make clean-up simple and easy. Some of the usual functions include rinsing, heavy wash cycles, and hot drying.
These are the following features that are important when purchasing a dishwasher:
- It uses microfiltration that can remove food debris.
- Can wash and rinses off dishes thoroughly.
- Can detect and measure oil levels in the middle of the wash cycle to adjust the time and temperature, even for heavy or lighter loads.
- Showcases a deep and angled design that can fit 6 inches deep of dishware.
- You can wash the dishes thoroughly while a drying bar is available that can remove moisture.
- It can be adjusted to be able to hold bigger and larger dishes.
- It can adjust to make room for dishware at the bottom part.
- It offers a combination of heating elements to circulate hot air to dry the dishware thoroughly.
- It can prevent fingerprints and can be easily cleaned with a soft cloth.
Common Problems Found In A Dishwasher
When you purchase one, it's best to know the usual problems you might encounter.
- Over time, dishwashers start to accumulate scale and residue.
- The water inlet hose gets ruptured.
- Spray arms are obstructed.
- Course Filter is blocked.
- Faulty soap dispenser.
- It has a pump impeller issue, an unclean drain, and a dirty rain reservoir.
Why Is My Kitchenware Dishwasher Not Working?
If your dishwasher is not working, you can unplug it for a minute. Replug it to see if it works. If the dishwasher is hardwired to power, turn off the breaker on the domestic electrical panel for a minute, and then turn the breaker back on.
If it still doesn't work, the machine might have a problem. Ideally, call a professional to fix the problem. The technician can find out what's wrong with the machine, assist in repairs, or suggest purchasing a new one.
Is It Worth It To Repair A Broken Dishwasher?
When a dishwasher gets broken, it's highly recommended to replace it if the repair costs are 50% of the original price of the dishwasher.
So, if it would cost you $500 to purchase a new one, then the cost of repair should not exceed $250. If it has been repaired many times, it's about time to buy a new one.
The cost doesn't affect the overall performance of the dishwasher because it's how you handle things that can make it last longer.
When owning a dishwasher, it's always crucial that you know how to remove the upper rack. Usually, there are two ways depending on the type. The methods are simple and easy.
Before purchasing a dishwasher, thoroughly research to get a good quality one. There are many advantages and disadvantages for each dishwasher type. Depending on your preferences, you can find cheaper and more expensive models.
You may check out our other post to learn more about dishwashers: