The convenience of having a rice cooker goes beyond simply cooking rice. It is essentially a steamer that can also be a slow cooker, which means it is versatile and can cook food apart from rice. Since meat is a staple food for many people, can you use your rice cooker to cook it? We have researched the answer for you.
Yes, you can cook strips of meat or poultry in a rice cooker. You can steam them using a tray while cooking rice, or you can cook them directly on the rice cooker as you would with a slow cooker.
- Put your seasoned meat into the rice cooker.
- Turn the rice cooker on and set it to a normal cooking cycle.
- If you have a slow-cook option, it is better to select that.
- Do not open the lid too often, as this may interrupt the cooking process.
- Switch to warm mode near-boiling.
- Let it simmer, then serve.
If you have a busy lifestyle, letting your rice cooker do most of the cooking can be more convenient and make you focus on more urgent tasks. Your rice cooker has a lot of functions that you can take advantage of to create tasty and easy dishes. If you want to learn more about quick meals, keep reading below!
How to Cook Meat in Rice Cooker
There are things you need to note first when cooking meat in a rice cooker. First, you need to cut it into thinner strips, or at least cut into cubes so it can cook more thoroughly.
There are various methods you can apply depending on the type of meat and how you want it to taste. Here are ways you can cook your meat in the rice cooker.
Meat and Rice Together
This is a convenient way to whip up both rice and meat. This is ideal if you quickly need something to fill you up but also need it to be heavy and delicious.
- Take out your uncooked rice and rinse it thoroughly.
- When you notice that the rice water is clearer, pour water into it.
- Be careful about the water-rice ratio because this would affect the doneness of the rice. The best practice is to pour two cups of water into every cup of rice.
- Prepare your meat and season it with herbs and spices.
- Place the seasoned meat on top of the rice.
- Turn on the rice cooker and let them boil together.
- Wait until it is set into warm mode. Let it simmer for a bit.
- Serve and enjoy!
If you prefer your meat steamed for healthier benefits, you can utilize the steaming tray that usually comes with your rice cooker. If your rice cooker does not have a tray, you can buy one--just make sure it perfectly fits on the opening.
- Wait toward the end of the rice's cooking cycle before you put in your meat so it will not be overcooked.
- Wait for about 20-30 minutes as the rice cooker gets into warm mode.
- Check if it is cooked all the way through. Serve and Enjoy!
See this steaming rack on Amazon.
Roast chicken is a hearty meal that can seem intimidating when you are still learning how to cook it. However, you can easily whip this dish up in a rice cooker as a one-pot dish--meaning, you cook it along with rice.
Read: "Can Rice Cooker Be Used As Slow Cooker Or Crockpot?"
- Prepare the ingredients.
- Marinate the chicken in a ziplock filled with soy sauce, chicken stock, brown sugar, garlic, and ginger.
- You can marinate it overnight to really infuse the seasonings, but 15 minutes can also suffice.
- Rinse the rice and pour just the right amount of water.
- Mix in marinade liquid.
- Place the marinated chicken on top and let it cook. It can take 3-4 hours if you set it in slow-cook mode.
Can you cook pasta in Rice cookers?
You can cook pasta in your rice cooker. Simply toss your uncooked pasta in the rice cooker and let it boil.
However, you need to make sure that your rice cooker will be able to handle the volume of your pasta since it will expand once it is cooked.
Mac and cheese
Cooking mac and cheese in the rice cooker requires minimal effort and only requires you to periodically check the pasta.
- Prepare your shaped pasta, vegetable broth, milk, and cheeses.
- Pour the vegetable broth into your rice cooker, then add in the macaroni (or any shaped) pasta.
- Switch the rice cooker to cooking or steaming mode. Wait about 10 minutes, occasionally stirring and peeking in the lid.
- Prepare your chopped cream cheese.
- When the rice cooker is on "warm" mode, add the milk and cream cheese. Make sure the pasta has absorbed the broth.
- Once the cheese has blended, throw in the shredded cheddar cheese.
- Adjust the amount of cheese and milk to your liking. Serve and enjoy!
How to Cook One-Pot Meals in Rice Cooker
One-pot meals are simply rice seasoned and mixed with chopped meats and vegetables. You can use this method for leftover meals--just mix in herbs and seasonings!
Read: "How Much Water To Rice In Rice Cooker? [Ratio By Type Of Rice]"
- Rinse your rice until the water is clear. Drain the excess water.
- Mix the uncooked rice with soy sauce, brown sugar, and sesame oil.
- Add in water at the right ratio.
- Throw in your chopped vegetables, meat, potatoes, carrots, or meatloaves.
- Turn the rice cooker into cooking mode.
- Let it simmer in warm mode.
- Mix well, serve, and enjoy!
How To Make a Giant Pancake in a Rice Cooker
If you do not want the hassle of getting the right amount of batter on a pan and painstakingly flipping them over--at the risk of splatting the pancake on the floor--this rice cooker method might be right for you.
- Prepare the standard pancake batter right out of the box.
- Grease the pot with butter or oil.
- Mix everything in, and pour everything into the pot.
- Set the rice cooker to cooking mode
- Once it is done, the top surface should be moist from the condensation. The cake itself should be firm.
- Remove it from the pot and flip. It should have a nice, even brown on the surface.
- Throw in butter, syrup, and your favorite fruits.
- Serve and enjoy!
This giant pancake can be sliced and served like a cake--perfect for a heavy breakfast to get your day started!
Vegan Meals with Rice Cooker
You can steam your vegetables in your rice cooker. This is the easiest to do since you just have to wait for the rice to cook.
- Wait until the rice is about 15 minutes away from being done.
- Put the vegetables on a steaming tray and put them in the rice cooker.
- Wait for 10 minutes, or until the rice is just warming.
- Add seasonings to your vegetables to taste.
- Serve and enjoy.
Can you make desserts in a rice cooker?
Savory meals aren't the only ones that can be cooked in a rice cooker--you can make desserts in them too! You can do this when you are craving something sweet but do not have enough time to oven-bake a treat.
Here are some sweet desserts you can make that can complement your meals.
Make this sweet dessert that you can enjoy anytime.
- Prepare cream cheese, egg yolk, and pancake batter.
- Mix them all in a medium bowl.
- Add two cups of heavy crim and whisk until smooth.
- In another bowl, use an electric mixer to whip egg whites. Wait until it forms a firm white form.
- Add three parts of granulated sugar while mixing.
- Fold the egg white mixture into the pancake mixture.
- Grease the rice cooker pot with butter. Slowly pour in the cheesecake mixture.
- Turn the rice cooker on and wait for 1 hour and 10 minutes.
- Once you are sure it is firm, take it out and sprinkle powdered sugar.
- Serve and enjoy!
Cheesecakes have a reputation for being sensitive-- getting one thing wrong can affect its consistency and texture. The great thing about a rice cooker-made cheesecake is you do not need to fuss over it too much, and you will still get to eat the cheesy, sweet treat.
Your rice cooker is a versatile appliance that you can utilize at your convenience. This is why this is a staple in many households--once you have it, you can already do so much with it!
Many college students and busybodies can whip up tasty, filling, and healthy dishes that help them start the day. Cook a delicious meal using your rice cooker today!